Error: USB Device Not Recognized! Find out how to fix this error.
These days, your PC has a number of USB ports to which you connect mouse, keyboard etc. You also use pen drive or external hard drives to connect to the USB port. After plugging in the pen drive / USB drive, you receive this error message: “USB device not recognized”. What would you do in this case?
Tips to resolve USB Device Not Recognized error in Windows 7, 8 or XP
Follow these tips to resolve the USB Device Not Recognized error.
1. Shut down and restart
In some cases, just restarting your windows operating system resolves the issue. Just shut down your computer in the normal way and unplug the power supply for a minute or two. If you are not able to do that (for eg, if mouse and keyboard both not working) then you don’t have any choice but to switch off the power button.
After a couple of minutes, switch on the power supply and boot your PC in normal way. Once you have restarted your PC, obviously the USB ports and the motherboard also get rebooted. The microprocessor will reload the drivers and hopefully you should not get the “USB Device Not Recognized” error again.
2. Uninstall and then reconnect the USB device
If the above trick doesn’t work, you may try this option.
- Click Start, type Device Manager in the Search box. Now click on Device manager.
- In the device manager, find the USB device from the list of hardwares. For example, if the USB device that stopped working was an external hard drive, you have to click “Disk Drives” from the list of hardware.
- Right-click the USB device having issue and click Uninstall.
- After the drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB device.
- Wait for a minute and then reconnect the USB device. The driver should automatically load.
- Now check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.
3. Reinstall USB controllers
If the above two methods don’t work and you are still getting USB device not recognized error, then follow this method.
- Click Start, then type device manager in the Search box and then click Device Manager.
- Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click a device and click Uninstall. Repeat for each device.
- Once complete, restart your computer. Your USB controllers will automatically install.
Hopefully your issue of “USB Device Not Recognized error” should be resolved now.